Thursday, July 15, 2010

Language dreams

Being abroad triggers something in the language part of your brain - people around you speaking a different language makes you want to speak it (or at least speak something other than the default of English), too.

They say that you're fluent in a language when you dream in it; my semester abroad in Spain culminated in a dream in "Spanglish." "Banglish" dreams fluttered about while spending winter session in India.

While I'm no where close to being even basic in Swahili knowledge, I wouldn't have been surprised if some of the everyday words heard on the street entered my mefloquine-doused dreams.

Instead, I had a dream in Spanish last night, a brief conversation with a friend while getting out of a bajaj. At least they're semi-acclimatizing?

No comments:

Post a Comment