Thursday, June 10, 2010

Karibu, karibu

Since this is the first time I'm having to work or study in a country without knowing the language, I bought the Swahili Rosetta Stone before coming, hoping it would allow me to get around, order some food and at least give me a little street cred. The program is pretty fun, and the CD case boasts that it's so fun you won't be able to stop (sort of like the pringles of computer programs). I know phrases like, "mvulana chini ndege," "boy under airplane," and "wanamke wanasoma," "women reading." I even can say "small umbrella," "mwavuli mdogo."

However, I unfortunately haven't gotten to the practical section yet. So, when I stopped by at my first day at the Dar City Council yesterday, I was greeted by my supervisor with "karibu," "welcome." Instead of saying "thank you," or "hello," my reflexes went with "karibu." The room erupted in giggles. Goal for the week: useful phrase building.

And Joe just got here!

No comments:

Post a Comment